Saturday, February 26, 2011

What a gene wants, what a gene needs...


Cause and effect drives Western thought.  We look at things as a linear progression: A to B to C to D ad infinitum.  I am a direct result of physical forces that drove unicellular organisms to share responsibilities for survival a trillion or so years ago.  It is mechanical and objective.  I see what you see.  So what do we see?

There is a "force" that we seem to see when describing/understanding cause and effect: desire.  A gene "wants" to survive.  It wants immortality.  But really, a gene doesn't want shit.  A rock doesn't want to fall; ice doesn't want to expand; a tree doesn't want to grow.  A worm doesn't want to eat shit and, I'd even argue that a dog doesn't want to crap or fuck.  These things just do.  They just exist.

This puts us in a chicken or egg situation.  Do I act because of desire, or describe the already initiated act by desire?  There is some scientific evidence that it is the latter.  Our actions (at least a subset of actions studied) are initiated a fraction of a second prior to our conscious decision to perform them.  Whether this is true or not doesn't really matter.  It doesn't matter because I don't know where my desires are initiated anyway.  Why do I like the color blue?  Why do I love my wife and child?  Why do I brush my teeth?  To maintain their health.  Why do I want to maintain their health?  Cosmetic, practical, and customary reasons.  Why do I care about these things?  The pre-pubescent eternal questioning can go on forever.  (It's pre-pubescent because after puberty you only have one question: how do I get laid?)  At certain point, it just is.  I just like the color blue.  I just love my wife and child.  


No comments:

Post a Comment