Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Complexity as a disease

I was thinking about chaos today.  Chaos theory, complexity theory, emergence theory, all that shit amounts to patterns within chaos (at least it does to those of us with brains incapable of accurate mathematics).  Things as we see them are not the sum of their parts.  I am not the sum of atoms and electrons and molecules and proteins and cells and organs and whatever.  I as an entity emerge from those things.

Complex entities have two important properties.  First, they are robust: they can handle a lot of shit (like the crazed, Kali wielding Scotsman of "Cats in a Sack") without apparent dysfunction.  The second property is called the tipping point: the complex system that hides the dysfunction from our eyes/ears/nose/throat/touch becomes saturated.  The dysfunction then becomes immediately apparent.

The key is things as we see them.  There is a lot of ego tied up in concepts of chaos.  I can't comprehend it, so it must be chaotic.  This of course is not the case.  The pattern is there from the beginning.  Our inability to perceive it is a function of our dysfunction: we lack the capability.  Chaos is inherent in us.  It is not external.  

The opposite is true as well.  Coherence is internal.  Patterns don't exist outside our consciousness.  Chaos and coherence are labels like dog, cat, human.  This makes it interesting.  Coherence is in our heads, but lack of coherence is a defect in our heads; it is a limit to our perception and understanding. Following this logic (if you can call it that), we can't figure out our own heads.  My mind labels certain systems as a pattern.  I "can't" label certain systems as a pattern, not because I can't "see" it, but because I can't create it.  This makes us entirely responsible for the coherence of our environment.  I am the master of my own chaos or the lack there of.  

Disease is chaos.  It has a million little pieces that, when confronting it personally and directly, are impossible to grasp.  As physicians, we eliminate the chaos by creating patterns: congestive heart failure, diabetes, arthritis, cancer.  These are all labels and patterns.  And they are created in our minds as physicians.  But the pattern you create as the patient may differ.  Regardless, I direct you through my system of patterns, my coherence.  I make it so you are no longer the master of your own chaos.  


No comments:

Post a Comment