Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Babies and suicide

Probably an unfair title.  There isn't much literature on babies committing suicide oddly enough.  What I mean by it is I never understood the concept of suicide until I had my child.  Strange to think the concept of mortal self limitation should arise out of my blonde haired, blue-eyed bundle of joy but it did.

I always thought that if I hit rock bottom somehow (whatever rock bottom is) then, in the very least, I'd be the world's greatest stuntman or the best war photographer of the century or the first man to eat 10 gallons of cookie dough a day.  Rock bottom would, in a sense, be freeing (another topic altogether already well put together by Chuck Paluhanakanaksanahun [possibly misspelled] of Fight Club fame).  If I truly examine this, then freedom to me was no longer caring about my mortality.  My life and death was the meaningful base from which all sprung.

With the advent of my daughter, that base changed.  She added a dimension that trumped my mortality.  Her physical safety; her emotional and intellectual growth; her potential role in society; my future enjoyment in watching her grow up; her present and future dependence on me; and much, much more all represent a richer, more immediately present meaning to my existence.  In other words, although the I've always enjoyed my life and am quite fond of who I am (contrary to the self-reflective brow-beating I give myself in this blog - you hurt the ones you love), the fall to rock bottom was not truly a long one.  I was standing on the 3rd floor veranda of a beautiful summer home in San Sebastian.  With my daughter, I am standing on top of 100 Burj Khalifas ).  I'm so tall now, everything I used to know and care about is microscopic.  I understand suicide now because I could not tolerate any other view than the one my daughter gives me.  My life became richer but more fragile with the birth of my daughter.

Camus said that the one philosophical question worth asking was why not commit suicide.  It is a brilliant question that, if you truly think about it, is a difficult one to answer (the question of course being the unanswerable "what's the meaning of life?").  I say flip it on it's head: why commit suicide?  What could you have in your life that truly means more than your life?  What would die over?  (Napoleon suggested that he can make a man die over a piece of ribbon.)

Philosophy and the Meaning of Life: [http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/life-meaning/]

2 comments:

  1. I actually find your narcissistic bullshit rambling amusing.

    - Kierkegaard

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brilliant wife's answer to Camus would be "to see what happens next". I agree with her, and with Kierkegaard (although his language is terrible these days).

    ReplyDelete