Friday, January 14, 2011

The doctor is ill at ease

When it comes to my mortality, I always think there is something to be done. Go to my doctor, get a test, take a pill.   I mistakenly believe that I have full power over the molecular direction of my body.

Here's what I do with your disease: I take objective measure of it; I evaluate what I may have control over and seize it; and I recognize what I have no control over and surrender to it. This is not to say I don't do everything in my power to help and protect you. What it means is I understand what power I have. I understand when I can't (and shouldn't) intervene.  I am a better doctor because I understand my limitations and the limitations of medical science. I suspect I'd be a "better" person (by better I mean more psychologically at ease) if I took the same approach to my family and myself. My control over my body is limited and there is not way around that.

No comments:

Post a Comment