Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jesus saves snowboarding from cancer


If you've ever snowboarded, you've probably experienced the skill bolus you seem to get the second and third days.  I went from a red ass and frozen legs from falling on the bunny hill the first day to a red ass and frozen legs from taking jumps on the intermediate runs the third day. Granted my athletic abilities are near perfect (I like to put lies in my entries to throw your scent off and maintain my anonymity), but I suspect it is a similar occurrence for most everyone. I don't think my technical skills improved that much over a course of two days, however. What I think happened is I gained confidence. Instead of a tendency to lean back so I could force a fall if I started going too fast, I started leaning in and accepting the speed. I was less afraid because I was more familiar with what to expect. I was less self-conscious.  I wasn't thinking about what I needed to do to protect myself and was, therefore, not analyzing my every move.


I don't believe that a cross, a buddha, an ohm, or a naked lady tattoo confer actual physical protection.  I do, however, believe that they provide an alternative to self-consciousness provided that the user places significance on the object.  It will protect me so I don't need to protect myself.  I can concentrate on the task at hand and not on myself.  I would argue that, even though I am placing my security in the hands of something that truly only exists in my head, this puts me at less risk.  Often the true danger is in one's head.

Such a symbol can help the ill as well.  I've already hinted at this with my Surrender entry: the physician becomes the symbol.  Disease is a scientific description; illness is what the patient experiences.  Finding one's "new" identity lies in between.  (Imagine the identity crisis one undergoes when s/he feels fine but is diagnosed with a disease with a treatment that causes the patient to feel horrible.  To justify the acquisition of illness by the treatment, one has to redefine oneself, often as "sick".)  I can think of no other time in a person's life that they are more self-conscious than when one loses his/her identity.  As physicians, we need to consider this as part of our patient's illness: an acute sense of self-consciousness.  Symbols may be the treatment for this.  Of course, 9/10 symbols actually get in the way of what I feel is the proper course of treatment.  But a blog for another time...


No comments:

Post a Comment